Citizen Science: Mapping and monitoring gaps
KZN-Forest Conservation Network will now be mapping and monitoring gaps in the various forest patches Ethekwini. The GIS person who will be doing this for us has requested that you send the geographic/GPS co-ordinates (in degrees, minutes, seconds) to us. (Any smart phone will be able to give these) These gaps can be in formally conserved, private or commercially owned land and you can simply mail these co-ordinates together with any pics (optional) to email@example.com.
We will thereafter get a student to go out and characterise the species growing in these gaps (alien and indigenous) and these gaps will be revisited over the years to gain a more fundamental understanding of gap dynamics in these forests and will also serve as an early warning system for alien invasive species which often opportunistically invade these gaps.
By reporting these gaps you are actively contributing to science and conservation so please help. However, we must stress that you need only report gaps that are more than 10 m at their widest point. If you need any further clarity on any of the reporting mechanisms given above, please feel free to call me on 083 607 8900 or 031 260 2067.
Dr Sershen Naidoo
KZN-Forest Conservation Network
KwaZulu-Natal Forest Conservation Network
Proposal presentation - GAP Project
Forest Surveys & Research - UKZN
Forest Species list
Forest Conservation in a changing climate
A Shared Vision
With our neighbours
Working together – A united purpose
- uMhlanga UIP have planned a boardwalk and education centre for uMhlanga lagoon
- Tongaat-Hulett and the Sibaya Development will protect and manage the forest with the establishment of a Conservation Trust.
- The Conservation Trust will be responsible for the rehabilitation, management and maintenance of the forest portions of the overall precinct, including the Hawaan Forest, Umhlanga and Forest 31.
- The Mount Moreland Conservancy and Barn Swallow project is established and well managed (Rhino Award and IBA Status)
- The municipality has recently announced that the Tidal pool and Main Beach eMdloti / uMdloti, have been awarded Pilot Blue Flag status, due to the good water quality and infrastructure.
The UIP & Conservancy Forum Participation
- The eThekweni Resilient City Programme
- The eThekweni Conservancy Forum
- The KZNFNC (The KZN Forest Networking Committee
The UIP welcomes and is kept informed about Academic Projects carried out in the area:
Click here to see Conservancy Documents
- The mussel bed monitoring project (ORI)
- The Zoanthid Population Monitoring Project (UKZN and Enzemvelo)
- Dune Rehabilitation Project (Allister Starke)
- Floristic survey of uMhlanga Forest (UKZN)
- The effects of Climate Change on the Coastal Forest (UKZN)
- Citizen Science (UKZN)
Thank you for your valuable input and participation!
Dr Angus Macdonald
Rocky Shore Community Dynamics: Zoanthid Communities
School of Life Sciences
Tel: 031 260 8633
Prof Rudy van der Elst
Protection of Mussel Beds at eMdloti / uMdloti
SA Ass for Marine Biological Research
Tel: 031 328 8222
The Value of Place-making
Your contribution is vital to keep eMdloti / uMdloti
Clean, Green, Safe
Enhance | Secure | Sustain
The eMdloti / uMdloti UIP do not receive any municipal subsidies from Rates and Taxes – as is the case of other UIPs
The UIP is reliant solely on Residents’ voluntary membership funds.
Your contribution is vital to make this endeavour a success which will enable the UIP to realise its goals by having strong relationships with service providers to enhance, secure and sustain eMdolti village and on-going projects.
- Report concerns
- Become an active participant in the various activities and programmes (See News for regular updates)
- Receive regular feedback and information
- Join the eMdloti / uMdloti UIP Chat Room to share your concerns, ideas and get to know other members
- Advertise your business, services at a nominal monthly fee
Property owners, please join and help make our eMdloti / uMdloti clean, green and safe.
For direct eMdloti / uMdloti Improvement Project queries, please feel free to make contact with us